Friday, January 25, 2019

Bearing One Another's Burdens

     Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.  Keep a watch on yourself, lest you too be tempted.  Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.  For if anyone thinks he is something, when he is nothing, he deceives himself.  But let each one test his own work, and then his reason to boast will be in himself alone and not in his neighbor.  For each will have to bear his own load.
     Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches.  Do not be deceived:  God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.  For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.  And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.  So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Galations 6:1-10 ESV

     Paul was writing to the Galation church.  The people were caught up in all sorts of worldly stuff, similar to the church at Corinth.  New believers were over zealous in their approach to the blatant sinful lifestyles many were living.  They were attempting to discipline them, but their idea out discipline was excommunication.  So Paul says, hold up, if you see someone caught up, let those who are spiritual handle it in a spirit of gentleness.  Careful how you approach them, lest you find yourself in the same set of circumstances or worse.
     Basically, this is the same concept Jesus taught.  Don't try to pull a splinter out of your neighbors eye, until you deal with the beam in your own eye.
     As a Christian, filled with the Holy Spirit, when I am sinning the Holy Spirit convicts me immediately.  I don't need you beating me over the head with scripture to confirm this.  However, if you have examined yourself and know that you know you are good with God in whatever particular area I'm having trouble with, and I am continuing in this, then  approach me in gentleness and bear me up.  Help me by helping me, not by throwing me out to the dogs.  When my sons were children, if they were in need of discipline I used the judgement of an adult to administer it.  I didn't pack up the belongings of a two year old and put them in the street.  It's the same concept, I loved them into repentance.  Besides, who am I?  A sinner saved by grace.  Just like you, I may be more spiritually mature than some, less than others, but in no way am I better than anyone else.  Every time I set myself up as a judge, I'm quickly reminded of this.  The Holy Spirit, quickly humbles me.
     As a born again Christian, I have been judged.  I am nothing on my own, but believe this, God disciplines those he loves.  He does this by allowing me to reap what I sow.  There is no denying this, and the part that hurts the worse, is these spankings are usually done in public.
     Thank you Lord for loving me enough to correct my bad behavior just like you reward my good behavior.
     Don't get this twisted, I'm not talking about works salvation.  I'm talking to Christians that have already been saved by grace.  Don't ever grow tired of doing good.  We're called to do good works.  James taught us that faith without works is dead.  When you come into contact with someone who is less fortunate than yourself, do what you can to help them.  You can help them, or God wouldn't have put them in your path.  This is your opportunity to show them the love of Jesus.  Especially if it's a brother or sister fallen on hard times.  Do your part!
     When you sit under someone more knowledgeable than yourself, and are being taught the word of God, share what you have with that brother or sister, because its right that the sower of seed should be allowed to share in the harvest.

     If you would like to know more about Jesus, or what it looks like to live a Christ centered life, contact me; rlwhitener@gmail.com. I would love to pray with you, include any prayer request you may have.
     Thanks for following along, may God richly bless you and yours!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment