Friday, August 27, 2010

Unpacking "The Lord's Prayer"

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven." Matt. 6:9,10

Many times when we pray, it's all about us. We tend to treat Jesus like our personal genie. We want to rub our Bible, say a few magic words, and start looking in the driveway for our new Porsche. I know we've been taught a weak name it claim it faith from televangelists for years, but according to my Bible, that is not the reason my God sacrificed himself on a cross. Whether or not I drive a Porsche, or walk barefoot to draw dirty water out of a polluted stream in Africa, isn't the issue.

God sent his precious Son, Jesus Christ, to be a sacrifice so that we might have life. That through the shedding of his blood, all of our sins could be forgiven and we could have a right relationship with him. That is awesome! That is enough!

When we pray, Jesus said to ask God's will be done, not ours. "your will be done in earth like it is in heaven" I'm not saying that it isn't God's will to prosper us, or that we aren't supposed to pray for the things we want in this life. I'm just saying we need to have our priorities right. Due we really need another $500.00 a month car payment, or could we live with the one we have and use some of that money to care for widows and orphans?

I don't know what God's will is for your life, do you? If not then this very important part of prayer becomes even more important! I urge you not to even move until you know for sure. Pray earnestly, God your will be done! In my life! In my City! In my church! In my country! Throughout the earth!

If you would like to know more about the God who created the universe and everything in it, click on one of the church links on this page. For prayer or just someone to talk with, contact me directly; rlwhitener@gmail.com please include "prayer request" in the subject line.

Thanks for following along,
God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment