Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Got Fruit?

'But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things, there is no law. ' Galatians 5:22-23 ESV

     I had read where Jesus was teaching on the vine and the branch, and if the branch didn't produce fruit it would be cut off and thrown into the fire.  For many years that had me very concerned.  I couldn't recognize my fruit, I thought it meant souls saved.  Of course, that is part of it, but because of a fruitless branch, I found it difficult to witness to people.  For many years I smoked cigarettes.  As a young Christian, I was very impressionable.  I felt a strong call to the ministry, but since I smoked I wasn't allowed to work with the youth group and was discouraged to serve in any capacity.  Eventually, because of a misunderstanding on my part, I gave up on church and God.  I didn't think I would ever be "good" enough, so I did everything my flesh desired instead of following the call I knew was on my life.
     The funny thing was when I found myself in jail, those guys didn't mind the fact that I smoked or got high, they were starved for the truth without judgment.  I was actually able to walk in my calling without even realizing it. Sharing the gospel just came naturally for me. 
     So here it is 35 years after I was saved and filled with the Holy Spirit, (not that I've walked with the Lord for 35 years, most of that time I wasted with riotous living) I still had self-doubt due to seeing the fruit I was bearing.  Finally, I did the obvious and began praying about it.  After a surprisingly short time, the Lord spoke to my spirit.  He is so so good to me!
     "My son, why are you so upset concerning fruit?  Does a pear tree produce pears for itself?  Can the apple tree enjoy its own apples?  Are they even aware pears & apples grow on them?"
     I thought about that for many days.  How obvious the answer was.  Because of a misconception, I made as a young man, too full of pride to ask my Pastor why he had "set me aside,"  I stumbled around in the darkness for over a decade.  
     If you're new to the faith or been a believer for years, as you grow the Holy Spirit produces fruit in you.  Not necessarily for you, but for those who come into contact with you.  People always tell me how patient I am or how much peace they feel in my presence.  That I'm kind and gentle.  How generous I am.  I'm not blowing my own horn, believe me, this is not me being prideful.  Within me, none of these things exist.  It is all due to the Holy Spirit manifesting himself in me because Jesus loves me so much!  He loves you as much as he loves me!  He is a good, good father!
     Are you tired of being angry all the time?  Has living for yourself left you feeling empty inside?  The world teaches us to be go-getters.  Get the best of everything and get it now.  Don't share anything, you worked hard for all your stuff.  Besides, by giving it to some undeserved lazy person, they will just be taking advantage of your "kind nature," and if anyone notices they will perceive you as weak.  Next thing you know a whole line of worthless folks will be at your door.  That is the lie the enemy has been selling for centuries.
     The other night, I heard a preacher say there would be no U-Hauls in your funeral procession, you can't take it with you!  If you come into contact with someone less fortunate than yourself, help them.  Maybe all they need is a smile and to hear God loves you.  Maybe they need a cheeseburger.  Believe this, the only reason the Lord brought the two of you together is so you could demonstrate the love of Jesus to them.  I know you have what they need, or God wouldn't have brought them to you.  Be an apple tree for someone you don't know today!  Love your neighbor like you love the person in your mirror.  You will be surprised how amazingly wonderful it will make you feel.  I promise you will be blessed far more than the one you're blessing.
     If you would like to know more about Jesus, or what it looks like to live life as a Christian, please click on one of the church links I've included on the blog, any of them would love to speak with you.  If you don't do "church's," contact me directly; rlwhitener@gmail.com, it would be my privilege to pray with you or answer any questions you may have.  I don't have all the answers, but I will do my best to find you an answer or at least point you in the right direction.
     May the Lord richly bless you and yours.  Thanks for following along!

No comments:

Post a Comment